- From Ridge to Reef
- Designed for Snorkelers
- Australia: Cruising the Great Barrier Reef
- Bali to Komodo by Boat
- Belize: Snorkeling & Coral Reef Ecology
- Bird's Head Seascape Whale Sharks & More
- Honduras Bay Islands
- Palau: Snorkeling the Rock Islands
- Raja Ampat Archipelago by Liveaboard
- Raja Ampat & Spice Islands Cruise
- Raja Ampat: Whales & Snorkeling (cruise)
- Solomon Islands by Liveaboard
- Wildlife Encounters
- Scuba & Snorkel Flex Trips
- American Wilderness
- Volunteer Vacations
- Belize: Turneffe Atoll Bottlenose Dolphin Research
- Belize: St. George's Caye Sea Turtle & Manatee Research
- Belize: Coral Reef Monitoring at Turneffe Atoll (scuba)
- Belize: St. George's Caye Coral Reef Research (snorkeling)
- Humpback Whale Monitoring in Mexico
- Ulithi Atoll: Community Conservation Program
- Family Trips
- Trip Calendar
- Whale Watching
- Support Us
- About Us
- Contact Us
Belize: Snorkeling & Coral Reef Ecology
designed for snorkelers
Guided snorkeling in Turneffe Atoll with a trip to the world famous Great Blue Hole.
- Explore the largest and most biologically diverse coral atoll in the Western Hemisphere, and visit the legendary Great Blue Hole.
- Gain special insight into reef ecology and learn about our marine research as you are guided by our expert naturalist.
- Stay in beachfront cabanas on the private shores of Turneffe Flats Lodge.
An exquisite maze of coral reefs set in turquoise waters is the focus of this land based, snorkeling expedition to Turneffe Atoll with a visit to Lighthouse Reef, location of the famous Great Blue Hole. This expedition is one of the best ways for non-divers to discover Belize's spectacular coral reef systems.
Our trip begins with a 90-minute boat ride from Belize City to the eastern side of Turneffe Atoll. We stay at Turneffe Flats Lodge, which offers comfortable beachside air-conditioned cabanas, each with an open porch to the sea, or at Blackbird Caye Resort, also featuring comfortable beachside cabanas. Turneffe Atoll is exceptional for its warm shallow water, which gives snorkelers easy access to an extraordinary underwater paradise. Magnificently adorned with huge yellow tube sponges and myriad tropical fish, the reef offers unmatched snorkeling opportunities.
Snorkeling sites include the coral rich reefs of The Canyons, Calabash Cut, and Soldier's Caye reef. Over 25 species of birds are found around the islands including the magificent osprey, and we often spot dolphins en route to our snorkeling sites.
A highlight will be a day-trip to Lighthouse Reef to visit the Great Blue Hole, a massive underwater sinkhole made famous by Jacques Cousteau. Nearby Half Moon Caye Natural Monument, a bird sanctuary whose dense vegetation provides habitat for thousands of red-footed boobies and frigate birds, is a naturalist's dream.
Your naturalist will help identify different fish species and explain the ecology of the reef and natural history of the islands.
Belize City - Blackbird Caye. Arrive in Belize City and 90-minute boat transfer to Turneffe Flats in Turneffe Atoll.
Snorkel check out and beach snorkeling. Afternoon boat trip to nearby Soldiers Reef.
Day 3 thru 7:
Snorkeling and natural history exploration. One day dedicated to visiting Lighthouse Reef.
Turneffe Flats - Belize City. Return to Belize City and fly home