You’re invited! Join Oceanic Society and Seiko for a beach cleanup in Ocean City, MD on November 12, 2022 from 10:00AM to 12:00PM. The cleanup will be an extension of our recent Global Ocean Cleanup that engaged 400+ volunteers worldwide who removed 2.2 tons of trash from the environment in a single day.
In addition to collecting all trash found, we will also have specialized equipment on-hand to sift for microplastics at the tide line. The cleanup will be led by Oceanic Society’s CEO, Roderic Mast, vice president of outreach, Brian Hutchinson, and manager of strategic growth and partnerships, Rosie Jeffrey, and is made possible through sponsorship by Seiko.
All are welcome to attend, but we ask that you please register so that we have an accurate head count and can get in touch with you in the event of any change in our plans.
Date & Time: Saturday, November 12, 2022 | 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Location: Meet in the Hugh T. Cropper Parking Lot, 809 S Atlantic Ave, Ocean City, MD 21842. We will be cleaning the beach from the Inlet north to ~12th Street, as well as along streets adjacent to the inlet and bay (e.g. S 2nd Street, S 1st Street, Philadelphia Ave).
What to Bring/Wear:
- Wear weather appropriate clothes (including close-toed footwear), including sunglasses and a hat, if desired. We recommend layers, with a windproof outer layer.
- Bring water in a reusable water bottle, and snacks if desired.
- Bring work gloves and/or a trash grabber, if desired (we will provide gloves, but if you have your own, consider bringing them for the best fit).
- All participants will receive a free gift from Oceanic Society & Seiko for their participation in this event!
- We will monitor the weather and send updates via email if it looks like the weather will interfere with our plans (e.g. heavy rain, wind). In the event of light rain, we will still carry out the cleanup.
This cleanup is generously sponsored by Seiko, a leader in diver’s watches, as a continuation their long-term commitment to ocean conservation—learn more here. Seiko has been supporting Oceanic Society’s ocean conservation programs since 2021 as the organization’s exclusive watch sponsor (learn more here). Most recently, Seiko supported the 2022 Global Ocean Cleanup, a campaign that resulted in the removal of more than 2 tons of waste from the ocean environment in eight locations worldwide.